Are you overwhelmed by your task list? Are you exhausted from the endless demands on your time? Are you trying to manage home and work and then running errands and it feels like it’s just too much? How to find stress relief when things just seem to be more than you can take is a topic close to my heart.
I am at the end stages of the renovations of the Holistic Center of Boca Raton and that requires so much planning, organization and even my actual presence on site. I am also managing my hypnotherapy business and my clients are my priority in terms of work.
Making sure they have what they need to be successful is very important to me. Managing social media, website and business development is another aspect of the business that takes time, effort and planning. Then there is wife, mother, and cook and that is certainly a demanding triple role. I also make sure not to forget my role as friend and support to other people in my life…Did I mention the three book clubs? I am hosting one tonight. You get the picture. It is very hectic for me and stress relief is actually something that I plan for. Why is stress relief so important? Well the research on how harmful stress is makes you stop to pay attention.
What happens with long term stress?
Going through long periods of stress without relief is truly detrimental to your health. Your body can go into a chronic stress mode and your heart, stomach, blood pressure as well as other systems get impacted by the ongoing burden of stress when there is no stress relief. Look at the information below and see what I mean:
- Forty-three percent of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
- Seventy-five percent to 90% of all doctor’s office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
- Stress can play a part in problems such as headaches, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, skin conditions, asthma, arthritis, depression, and anxiety.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) declared stress a hazard of the workplace. Stress costs American industry more than $300 billion annually.
- The lifetime prevalence of an emotional disorder is more than 50%, often due to chronic, untreated stress reactions.
http://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/effects-of-stress-on-your-body So I think I convinced you that stress is really bad for you and that stress relief is crucial for your health. When people come to see me for hypnosis for stress I am first and foremost so impressed that they took the time to actually take care of this issue. Very often when overwhelmed by stress the most common ‘excuse’ I get is: “I am so busy, I don’t have time for stress management”. And I understand, I really do. It seems that stress relief is yet another chore, an additional demand for time and resources…..But then, what else can you do? If you want to stay healthy and happy you have to find a way to achieve stress relief.
So what can you do for stress relief?
Make a commitment to do something about your stress with the understanding that at first it may seem more to do yet very quickly you are going to see the results and feel better.
- Daily meditation practice. If you have been reading my blogs and you read the one on the Mind-Body connection you know that if you give 20 minutes a day to meditation your mind will get a break and over a period of just weeks the changes in your brain are significant enough that you now handle stress differently. I recommend and App called Simply Being to my friends and my clients. A $1.99 investment that is well worth it.
- Look at your life and prioritize. Did I really need to be in 5 book clubs? The answer was no and now I am down to 3 and reevaluating. It is crucial that I make a fresh dinner every night? No, so now I cook for 2 days and the poor family eats leftovers every other day. This brings me to the next point…
- Perfection is a myth. What is perfect to you may be sub-par for someone else and what seems like it is just OK to you, maybe for another an unachievable task. Look at your life and see where you can let loose a little. Maybe it is not cooking daily, maybe it is that you stop ironing the sheets. Possibly it is that you buy a cake to bring to the party instead of baking one. Whatever it is for you that you can be more forgiving to yourself. Find it, and do it. Tonight’s book club will see all store bought items. I am perfectly OK with it.
- Make sure that you take care of yourself. Meditation is one way but there are other ways as well to achieve stress relief by taking care of you. Exercise is an incredible way to de-stress. Yes, it takes time and effort but it is well worth it. It does not have to be a huge commitment. I walk the dogs 2 miles a day and my yoga classes are on my schedule and all else is set around them. It is my commitment to myself to keep my body and my mind from overload. This is my stress relief. For you it can be going to the beach twice a week for half an hour. Meeting a friend for lunch once a week.
- Ask for help and get help. Help can come in many forms. Maybe you have the resources to hire someone to help you and take some of the pressure off. Maybe you don’t have the financial resources to hire help but you have friends and family that are willing to give you a hand with specific tasks. I know that in my household both kids are now doing more than they were used to and doing it well. It is good for them and good for me. I also have now someone helping me with the website because apparently I cannot do it all by myself if I want some stress relief….
- Talk to your friends, talk to your family, talk to a professional. Having support and someone to talk to is crucial for stress relief. You are not alone and if you are, change that. Join a group that has a similar interest. Meetup.com offers multiple options, maybe you find a group that you like. Maybe you make a friend that will listen. Us humans, we need this interaction, especially when times are hard, being listened to presents you with an opportunity to share and communicate. Yes, it takes time, but it does provide stress relief.
- Sleep is very important for stress relief and for some people the stress does not affect their sleep pattern. For others, it is the first thing that gets affected and the harm that comes from lack of sleep is a topic in itself for another time. Meditate before you go to sleep to calm your brain. Take a nice hot shower or bath. Avoid TV or any other blue light screens. Create a comfortable and quiet sleep environment. Sleep is crucial for your health and for how you handle stress in your life. Hypnosis for sleep is also very effective when done correctly.
So I hope I convinced you how important it is to manage your hectic life in a way that your emotional and physical health are maintained at the best possible level. I know you may look at my list of what to do for stress relief and get overwhelmed. My suggestion to you is to tackle just a few items at from that list. Choose the items that make the most sense to you and implement them. Once you are comfortable with them, go back and add more. I make sure to follow my own advice and it does work. I promise. If you need more help or guidance you can always come see my.
My Hypnosis Services package includes hypnotherapy, nutrition, and behavior techniques. It is very effective. Use the green button to schedule your complimentary 30 minute phone session, or just call me on my cell at 561-504-6669
Read this great information on what foods can help with relieving stress on Positive Health Wellness since Your Nutrition matters!